Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I'm throwing several in here.

Jul 18, 2007
.23
I got the good.
I got the bad.

Both rush in
and out
like
karmic tide.

I've been dear - tried to straighten that curl.
I've been horrid.

You can flip that nickel,
a hundred times.
See Jefferson ninety nine,
but bet the last is Monticello.

Jul 16, 2007
Or, Shame On Us Both
Righteous Anger -
a call to Arms.

Battlecry -
unsheath your Swords.

Able bodies,
cease wasting idle.

Become the wails
of maimed infants in
the street...

"Our blood is on your hands."

Jun 4, 2007
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
I knew storms were a-comin',
and I was sprinkled as
I left my first art lesson.

I glanced at the interstate,
and I chose to take the highway as
I noted streams of melting brake lights.

I hydroplaned into an empty lane,
and righted myself as
I took the on ramp.

I could just make out
the strong current that
already engulfed the asphalt,
then lamp posts failed
and the only light
was streaking
veins like eels
from the sky
touching down
in the not so distant
yonder.

I took the wrong exit,
and failed to realise until
I was back where I started.

I thought there was no use,
and didn't bother turning until
I came across a familiar side street.

I struggled to keep in my lane,
and refused to panic until
I felt the sprays rushing under my floorboard.

I began to fear I would not
make it home,
the thunder
like a motorcycle
revving
in the passenger's seat,
hitting every wicked spot
in this once familiar
now Twilight Zone
eerie and too long
road.

I contemplated:
that Garcia boy
who drowned last week in Killeen,
Flash floods,
sinkholes,
grabbing my cigarettes,
before my car was swept away
having a smoke,
while attached to
a street sign
waiting to be rescued.
and
muddy live burial -
the last moments
before death,
hopeless, helpless
in the myre,
alone
with
my dirty thoughts.

.24distracted.
distracted.
distracted.

america, the faux-free bubble.

count your calories.
get your new gadgets.
let your debt pile up.
forget the hungry,
and displaced.

yes, darling.
there's a war...
but, it's so very far away.
no, darling.
nothing like that happens here
so, you don't have to worry.

Apr 10, 2007

I think I'll listen to the blues today
and offer a prayer to St. Francis de Sales,
cuz nobody knows the trouble I've seen,
well,
nobody 'cept Bessie Smith.
I might smoke too many cigarettes,
throw some of this frustration to the wind,
searching for a glimpse of inspiration
on the faces of coins,
and the bottoms of ashtrays.

God knows, I want to be a vessel.
Thalia come sail on me.

 
Apr 10, 2007

I braked as the light changed from yellow to red,
second in line to turn.

A raggedy heap
of dirty clothes
perched on the guardrail -
a buzzard scavenger
with a cardboard beak.

I cocked my head to the side, and shut one eye.
He disappeared into my blindspot.

I had a brief philosophical discussion with myself,
about how easy it is
for the fed
to dismiss the hungry,
as I fiddled with the change in my armrest.

35 cents was all I could spare,
and 35 cents seemed embarassing.
So, I pretended I didn't care,
turned, and gave him nothing.
I Can't Afford to Be the Hero.
Blank Screen Blues

No comments:

Post a Comment